Tag Archives: convicted

Woman questioned by her alleged kidnapper, convicted rapist

OAKLAND — A woman who said she was kidnapped but managed to escape in Berkeley earlier this year was questioned by her alleged kidnapper — a six-time convicted rapist — on Wednesday.

Sitting on the witness stand Wednesday at the Rene C. Davidson courthouse, victim “Jane Doe” testified against defendant Whittier Buck Buchanan, 60. In a bizarre scenario, because Buchanan is representing himself in his trial, he’s able to cross-examine the woman he allegedly kidnapped.

Buchanan is charged with kidnapping to commit a sex crime, assault with the intent to commit a sex crime and failing to register as a sex offender after an address change, following the events on May 2 in Berkeley.

The woman, who looked mostly down behind her black thick-rimmed glasses, repeated the night’s events as the jury of seven men and five women listened. On the night of May 2, she was sitting on the front steps of her apartment

Read more at: http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/10/18/woman-questioned-by-her-alleged-kidnapper-convicted-rapist/

Convicted rapist granted bail after allegedly raping another woman

A convicted rapist has been granted bail after allegedly raping another woman that he approached on a busy, public street.

The Geelong man who was previously jailed for targeting a disabled woman is now protected by a court order suppressing where he now lives in the community.

Victims of Crime Commissioner Greg Davies described it as “an extraordinary set of circumstances”.

The man is aged in his sixties, and is living in Geelong on bail while his case proceeds in court.

9NEWS has been prevented from naming or identifying the man because the court imposed a suppression order protecting his identity, his job and where he lives in the community.

The man cannot be identified for legal reasons. (9NEWS)
He now lives a few hundred metres from a primary school. (9NEWS)

The order also suppresses the victim’s identity, even though the identification of victims of sexual assault is automatically prohibited by law in Victoria.

The suppression

Read more at: http://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/10/18/18/07/convicted-rapist-granted-bail-after-allegedly-raping-another-woman

Ireland could be first EU country to cancel convicted pedophile’s passports

Dublin priest says the “protection of human rights and the dignity of women and children is breaking down”

Ireland could soon be following Australia’s lead by becoming the first country in Europe to cancel passports of convicted pedophiles in a bid to prevent them to traveling overseas. The campaign championing this idea for Ireland is being led by Irish priest Father Shay Cullen, a four-time Nobel Peace Prize nominee who runs People’s Recovery, Empowerment and Development Assistance (PREDA), a child abuse charity in the Philippines.

Ireland is expected to introduce a draft of this new legislation later in October. It would mean that convicted pedophiles would be prohibited from traveling overseas.

Cullen, who was born in Dublin, said the introduction of legislation such as this would prevent registered sex offenders from traveling abroad. He also said this legislation would particularly benefit developing nations where sex tourism and child prostitution are major problems.

Speaking to

Read more at: https://www.irishcentral.com/news/ireland-could-be-first-eu-country-to-cancel-convicted-pedophile-s-passports

Convicted rapist won’t seek custody of victim’s child: lawyer

A convicted sex offender in Michigan who raped a 12-year-old girl is not seeking custody of his victim’s 8-year-old son, according to his attorney.

Christopher Mirasolo, 27, of Brown City, was awarded joint legal custody and shared parenting time of the boy with an order signed on Sept. 22 by Sanilac County Circuit Judge Gregory S. Ross, according to the victim’s attorney, Rebecca Kiessling. But the fiend’s attorney, Barbara Yockey, said the matter is now being resolved privately and expects a scheduled Oct. 25 hearing on the case to be canceled, the Times Herald reports.

“He’s not going to attempt to see the child, no,” Yockey told the newspaper.

Kiessling, who is seeking to protect her client and her child under the federal Rape Survivor Child Custody Act, said a settlement was being discussed late Monday. Any deal, however, would need to be approved by Prosecuting Attorney James Young

Read more at: http://nypost.com/2017/10/10/convicted-rapist-wont-seek-custody-of-victims-child-lawyer/

Convicted rapist awarded joint custody​, victim’s lawyer says

SANILAC COUNTY, Mich. – It could be the first case of its kind in Michigan. A judge in Sanilac County has awarded joint legal custody to a man who allegedly raped a young girl, the victim’s attorney said.

She was just 12 at the time and now has an 8-year-old boy.

The alleged rapist and biological father was not on the child’s birth certificate. With joint legal custody, he could have input in decisions regarding the boy’s education, religion and medical issues. He could also end up having the right to spend time with the child.

Read more at: https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/convicted-rapist-awarded-joint-custody-victims-lawyer-says

Sexual predator convicted by jury of charges stemming from jail assaults

       Marlek Holmes

A sexual predator already serving 15 years in prison for his crimes against children is looking at possibly serving another seven years for assaulting fellow inmates in the Genesee County Jail and damaging jail property.

It took a jury three hours of deliberation after a three-day trial to find Marlek Holmes guilty on two counts of assault in the second degree and criminal mischief.

The potential sentence for Holmes:

Convicted rapist Ma’lik Richmond remains at Youngstown State as school settles suit

Ma’lik Richmond, the Youngstown State football player who was convicted in the Steubenville High School rape case of 2012 in Ohio, will be allowed to remain on the roster and play football for the program. This decision was reached when lawyers representing Richmond and Youngstown State filed a motion to dismiss the federal lawsuit filed by Richmond against the school. 

The case was dismissed with prejudice. As such, Richmond cannot bring forward the same complaint. Attorneys for Richmond argued that the school could not bar him from playing so long as he followed school rules. 

“What is most important is that Ma’lik moves on,” said Susan Stone, one of Richmond’s attorneys, in a statement obtained by the Associated Press. “This was never a case about money. This is a case about Ma’lik being given all the opportunities afforded a student of good standing.”

“This has been a complex situation,” Read more at: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/convicted-rapist-malik-richmond-remains-at-youngstown-state-as-school-settles-suit/

Sentencing of convicted sexual predator delayed by one week

The former UOG Professor convicted of sexually assaulting three female students at a “Stroup” party held at his Ipan residence will not be sentenced tomorrow as scheduled.

Guam – Superior Court Judge Vernon Perez denied a motion by Ehlert’s legal counsel to push the sentencing hearing back by two weeks, however, he did reschedule the sentencing hearing to October 9 at 3:30 pm.

The additional time, according to Perez, is to allow the completion of the pre-sentence investigation report which includes contacting the three victims.

Ehlert has been on house arrest under a third party custodian since his conviction in July.

He faces a maximum of 8 years in prison for each count of criminal sexual conduct.

Comments

Read more at: http://pacificnewscenter.com/sentencing-of-convicted-sexual-predator-delayed-by-one-week/

Sentencing of convicted sexual predator delayed by one week …

The former UOG Professor convicted of sexually assaulting three female students at a “Stroup” party held at his Ipan residence will not be sentenced tomorrow as scheduled.

Guam – Superior Court Judge Vernon Perez denied a motion by Ehlert’s legal counsel to push the sentencing hearing back by two weeks, however, he did reschedule the sentencing hearing to October 9 at 3:30 pm.

The additional time, according to Perez, is to allow the completion of the pre-sentence investigation report which includes contacting the three victims.

Ehlert has been on house arrest under a third party custodian since his conviction in July.

He faces a maximum of 8 years in prison for each count of criminal sexual conduct.

Comments

Read more at: http://pacificnewscenter.com/sentencing-of-convicted-sexual-predator-delayed-by-one-week/