Tag Archives: court

Pakistan court sentences child killer, rapist to death

LAHORE, Pakistan (Reuters) – A Pakistani anti-terrorism court on Saturday sentenced a suspected serial killer to death for the rape and murder of a seven-year-old girl, a prosecutor said.

The girl’s murder ignited nationwide protests over allegations of government inaction, and a media campaign led to his arrest after years of him being on the loose.

Police found Zainab Ansari’s body in a garbage dumpster in Kasur district near the eastern city of Lahore in mid-January, four days after she was reported missing.

Residents of the area have said the murder was the 12th such incident in a year. Police investigators said later that they had matched DNA from eight girls’ bodies, including Zainab‘s, with the convicted killer, Imran Ali, 24.

“The court handed down death on four counts and life imprisonment to Imran Ali in the rape and murder of

Read more at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-pakistan-rape/pakistan-court-sentences-child-killer-rapist-to-death-idUSKCN1G10D0

Island serial rapist jailed at Glasgow High Court

A rapist who carried out a series of sex attacks in the Western Isles has been locked up for 11 years.

Richard Baker preyed on three terrified women during an eight-year campaign of abuse.

The 31-year-old – who denied the allegations – was brought to justice following a trial at the High Court in Glasgow.

Baker was today sentenced having been convicted last month of nine charges including the rape of each victim.

The crimes occurred between 2008 and 2016 at a number of locations including Tarbert on the Isle of Harris and Tolsta, Isle of Lewis.

Judge Sean Murphy QC said Baker was guilty of a “very serious and appalling combination of offences”.

He added the attacks left “a dreadful toll” on the victims – and that Baker had shown “no sympathy or remorse”.

The judge told Baker: “A substantial custodial sentence

Read more at: https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/island-serial-rapist-jailed-glasgow-14289278

‘Rapist’ manhunt for suspect who fails to turn up to court

The man who allegedly raped a young girl he met a Victoria train station is on the loose after breaching his bail by failing to turn up to court.

A warrant has been issued for the arrest of Clinton Burke, who is facing three charges of rape after the alleged incident.

Police say Mr Burke struck up a conversation with his alleged victim at Moe Train Station before the offence took place elsewhere.

Clinton Burke. (Supplied)

He was later charged and released on bail.

Mr Burke failed to appear at the LaTrobe Valley Magistrates Court to face the charges on January 25.

Authorities believe Mr Burke is known to frequent the Latrobe Valley area, with his last known address being in Morwell.

Moe Station. (9NEWS)
Moe Station. (9NEWS)

Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

© Nine Digital Pty Ltd 2018

Read more at: https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/02/13/10/19/clinton-burke-manhunt-underway-for-alleged-rapist

‘Rapist’ manhunt for suspect who fails to turn up to court – 9News

The man who allegedly raped a young girl he met a Victoria train station is on the loose after breaching his bail by failing to turn up to court.

A warrant has been issued for the arrest of Clinton Burke, who is facing three charges of rape after the alleged incident.

Police say Mr Burke struck up a conversation with his alleged victim at Moe Train Station before the offence took place elsewhere.

Clinton Burke. (Supplied)

He was later charged and released on bail.

Mr Burke failed to appear at the LaTrobe Valley Magistrates Court to face the charges on January 25.

Authorities believe Mr Burke is known to frequent the Latrobe Valley area, with his last known address being in Morwell.

Moe Station. (9NEWS)
Moe Station. (9NEWS)

Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

© Nine Digital Pty Ltd 2018

Read more at: https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/02/13/10/19/clinton-burke-manhunt-underway-for-alleged-rapist

Minnesota man, charged with attacking ND priest, calls him a rapist at court hearing – TwinCities.com

TOWNER, N.D. — A Minnesota man charged with attacking a rural North Dakota priest last month referred to the victim as a rapist during a court hearing Thursday.

Chad Lagear
Chad Legare, 42, of Alexandria, Minn., is accused of attacking a North Dakota priest, the Rev. Robert Wapenski, in January 2018. (Forum News Service)
priestattacked
A North Dakota priest, the Rev. Robert Wapenski, was allegedly attacked in January 2018 by Chad Legare, 42, of Alexandria, Minn. (Forum News Service)

Facing three felonies, including attempted murder, Chad Legare of Alexandria, Minn., appeared in North Dakota’s McHenry County District Court hours after deputies extradited him.

Legare, 42, did not enter a plea, but answered a question about whether he posed a threat to anyone if he were released on bail.

“As long as John Doe didn’t rape any other

Read more at: https://www.twincities.com/2018/02/09/minnesota-man-charged-with-attacking-n-d-priest-calls-him-a-rapist-at-court-hearing/

John Worboys’ victims face black cab rapist in court as judicial …

Victims have come face to face with John Worboys at a High Court hearing 15 years after he had drugged and raped them in the back of his taxi, as they were given the go-ahead for a legal challenge against the decision to release him from prison.

Worboys, 60, was brought to the Royal Courts of Justice for a hearing into whether or not the Parole Board’s decision to release him should be overturned. Two judges ruled that a temporary bar on releasing Worboys should be extended.

The case was brought by two victims who say the black cab rapist, responsible for attacks on more than 100 women, remains a danger to the public.

The hearing was delayed for Worboys’ arrival from Wakefield prison, his home since his conviction in 2009.

Worboys shuffled into court flanked by four security guards. He wore jeans and a grey open necked shirt with light green sleeves.

Read more at: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/07/john-worboys-pictured-arriving-high-court-judge-orders-attend/

John Worboys’ victims face black cab rapist in court as they battle to block his release from prison

Victims have come face to face with John Worboys at a High Court hearing 15 years after he had drugged and raped them in the back of his taxi, as they were given the go-ahead for a legal challenge against the decision to release him from prison.

Worboys, 60, was brought to the Royal Courts of Justice for a hearing into whether or not the Parole Board’s decision to release him should be overturned. Two judges ruled that a temporary bar on releasing Worboys should be extended.

The case was brought by two victims who say the black cab rapist, responsible for attacks on more than 100 women, remains a danger to the public.

The hearing was delayed for Worboys’ arrival from Wakefield prison, his home since his conviction in 2009.

Worboys shuffled into court flanked by four security guards. He wore jeans and a grey open necked shirt with light green sleeves.

Read more at: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/07/john-worboys-pictured-arriving-high-court-judge-orders-attend/

Court sentences KZN rapist

Durban – A 37-year-old man was sentenced to a total of 14 years imprisonment following charges of rape, assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm and kidnapping levelled against him by the state in the Pietermaritzburg Regional Court. Mandla Hamilton Hlophe was sentenced to ten years for rape, three years for kidnapping and one year for assault.

Lieutenant Colonel Thulani Zwane, police spokesperson, said Hlophe had approached a woman at her friend’s house in the Bulwer area and asked her to go with him.

“The woman refused to go as he had stabbed her before. He threatened to kill her and forced her to go to his house where he raped her,” Zwane said.

A case of rape, assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm and kidnapping was opened at Bulwer police station for further investigation. The docket was transferred to Plessisslaer Family Violence, Child Protection

Read more at: https://www.iol.co.za/dailynews/court-sentences-kzn-rapist-13124695

Rapist told schoolgirl he was a garda, court hears – The Irish Times

A convicted rapist told a school girl that he was a garda and threatened to arrest her, a court has heard.

Cork man Paul Buckley (45) was jailed for four years in 2005 after a trial at the Central Criminal Court heard he had battered and raped a woman who was making her way home after a night out drinking.

On Friday, Detective Garda Phillip Byrne told Dublin Circuit Criminal Court that on November 11th, 2017, Buckley, a registered sex offender, was living in Dublin.

Buckley was drinking in the city centre during the day when he saw a teenage girl in her school uniform standing with a friend. After challenging the girl about not being at school he showed her a business card with a Garda logo on it and told her he was a garda.

The girl told him she had skipped school that day because she

Read more at: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/rapist-told-schoolgirl-he-was-a-garda-court-hears-1.3369962