Tag Archives: french

French trial on sex with 11-year-old fuels debate on consent

A 29-year-old French man went on trial Tuesday in a Paris suburb for having sex with an 11-year-old girl, a case that has rekindled strong debate on the age of sexual consent in France.

Unlike many countries, France does not have a legal age under which a minor cannot agree to a sexual relationship — although the country’s top court has ruled that children aged five and under cannot consent. Lawyers for the suspect argued that the girl was consenting and aware of what she was doing, while lawyers for the girl have said she was simply too young and confused to resist.

In a decision that shocked many, the prosecutor’s office in the town of Pontoise decided to put the man on trial not for rape but for charges of “sexual abuse of a minor under 15.”

Defense lawyers say the man and the girl

Read more at: http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/trial-rekindles-debate-age-sexual-consent-france-53039448

Fez: Investigative Hearing of French Alleged Pedophile Postponed

Rabat – The Court of Second Instance in Fez has postponed the investigative hearing to evaluate the charges of sexual assault of minors levied against 58-year-old Frenchman until Monday, January 22.

Asmae Kabba, a social activist following the case closely and who is President of the Moroccan Association Against Violence and Homelessness, an organization that provides support to sexual assault victims, confirmed the postponement to MWN on Wednesday.

Kabba said that the investigative hearing had been postponed in the absence of one of the victims. The defendant is in custody of the Police in Fez.

The social activist added that the National Observatory for the Rights of the Child chaired by Princess Lalla Meryem will also join the proceedings as a civil party to advocate on behalf of the

Read more at: https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2018/01/238658/fez-french-alleged-pedophile/

Fez: French Pedophile Admits Drugging Victims Before Raping Them

pedophile

Rabat – A 58-year-old French pedophile appeared in court today in Fez accused of committing sexual acts on minors in the city. He admitted drugging and raping the two little girls, blaming their families for exploiting their children.

Asmae Kabba, a social activist and President of Moroccan Association against Violence and Homelessness spoke to  Morocco World News from the courtroom. She confirmed that the accused confessed to charges of pedophilia in front of investigators and the court.

Kabba, who supports and represents the victims, confirmed that the defendant had been grooming the two girls, aged 11 and 14, prior to being arrested.

Shockingly, Kabba also confirmed that during the hearing, the 58-year old insulted the families of the victims, saying that “these families sell their children’s bodies.”

READ ALSO: French Tourist Arrested

Read more at: https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2018/01/237742/fez-french-pedophile-charges/

French archbishop admits failings in response to pedophile scandal

PARIS (Reuters) – The Roman Catholic archbishop of Lyon acknowledged shortcomings in his response to a pedophilia scandal in his archdiocese and said more rigorous checks were in place to prevent past errors in the appointment of priests being repeated.

In an interview with Le Monde, published ahead of the Aug. 15 Feast of the Assumption celebration, Cardinal Philippe Barbarin reiterated that he had never concealed acts of sexual abuse by Father Bernard Preynat, a priest under his authority.

Preynat is accused of sexually abusing Catholic boy scouts during the 1980s and early 1990s. He is due to appear before a court next month. Preynat’s lawyer has said the priest admits the abuse but that the cases have passed the legal statute of limitations when they were reported.

Prosecutors in 2016 extensively questioned Barbarin, one of France’s top Catholic clerics, over why Preynat’s activities

Read more at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-religion-idUSKBN1AS0EH

French archbishop admits failings in response to pedophile scandal

PARIS (Reuters) – The Roman Catholic archbishop of Lyon acknowledged shortcomings in his response to a pedophilia scandal in his archdiocese and said more rigorous checks were in place to prevent past errors in the appointment of priests being repeated.

In an interview with Le Monde, published ahead of the Aug. 15 Feast of the Assumption celebration, Cardinal Philippe Barbarin reiterated that he had never concealed acts of sexual abuse by Father Bernard Preynat, a priest under his authority.

Preynat is accused of sexually abusing Catholic boy scouts during the 1980s and early 1990s. He is due to appear before a court next month. Preynat’s lawyer has said the priest admits the abuse but that the cases have passed the legal statute of limitations when they were reported.

Prosecutors in 2016 extensively questioned Barbarin, one of France’s top Catholic clerics, over why Preynat’s activities had not been reported to

Read more at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-religion-idUSKBN1AS0EH

French cardinal to face new legal action over pedophile cover-up

Almost a year after the French justice system decided to drop criminal proceedings against Cardinal Philippe Barbarin, the archbishop of Lyon, and six others for failing to report sexual abuse of boy scouts committed by a priest, the case has been reopened.

The abuses took place between 1978 and 1991.

“If we stop now, who will bring the debate into the public domain?” said François Devaux, the head of La Parole Libérée (“Lift the Burden of Silence”) an organisation of former Saint-Luc Scout Group members, many of whom who were allegedly sexually abused by the priest who led the group, Bernard Preynat.

After a preliminary investigation, it was decided in August 2016 not to pursue a case against Barbarin and the other six.

But the priest’s alleged victims have now come together to bring a civil action against that decision.

Seven people were yesterday issued summonses to appear before the Lyon criminal court in

Read more at: https://international.la-croix.com/news/french-cardinal-to-face-new-legal-action-over-pedophile-cover-up/5235