Tag Archives: trial

Nottinghamshire rapist’s trial ‘was not unfair’, rule top judges

A Nottinghamshire man serving a five-year jail term for raping a teenager has failed to convince top judges his trial was unfair.

Luke Fisher, 27, of Deepdale Court, Sutton-in-Ashfield, was locked up after being found guilty of the rape at Nottingham Crown Court in October last year.

He befriended the 16-year-old victim and, after sending a series of text messages, persuaded her to go to his flat.

The girl responded to one of his texts saying there would be “no sex”.

But he pulled her trousers down and forced himself on her – ignoring her pleas for him to stop.

Fisher denied any wrongdoing, claiming the girl was lying, but was found guilty by the jury.

He today challenged his conviction at the Court of Appeal, in London, with his lawyers arguing it was “unsafe”.

They said they should have been

Read more at: http://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/nottinghamshire-rapists-trial-was-not-607385

Sexual predator back in Batavia to stand trial on assault charges stemming from incidents in jail

Marlet Holmes

Four months after being sent to prison for 15 years, serial sexual predator Marlek Holmes is back in Batavia today for that state of a trail on a pair of assault in the second-degree charges.

The charges stem from incidents in the Genesee County Jail.  Holmes is accused of assaulting inmates in the jail. After the second incident in December, Holmes allegedly damaged jail property, so he also faces a criminal mischief charge.

The 43-year-old Holmes, who has already spent 14 years of his adult life in prison, was sentenced in May after agreeing to a guilty plea to attempted criminal sexual act in the first degree 

Holmes was originally charged with Class A felonies of predatory sexual assault and predatory sexual assault against a child. 

Jury selection in this new trial will begin this afternoon.

Holmes appeared in court this morning dressed in a green prison jumpsuit and escorted by state prison

Read more at: http://www.thebatavian.com/howard-b-owens/sexual-predator-back-in-batavia-to-stand-trial-on-assault-charges-stemming-from

Trial of accused child rapist begins

GRAHAM — A trial on a set of ugly charges started Monday afternoon with jury selection.

Jordan Mendoza Guevara, 56, formerly of Walker Avenue, Graham, has been held at the Alamance County jail on felony charges of rape of a child, incest and indecent liberties with a child.

Guevara was arrested Jan. 17, 2015. According to Graham police, the mother of the then-12-year-old alleged victim called authorities at 2:36 a.m. that Saturday immediately after the child told her Guevara had assaulted her late the night before.

Jury selection started Monday afternoon after Superior Court Judge Orlando Hudson heard from Assistant District Attorney Jenna Earley and defense attorney Bob Martin about what to expect in the estimated two- or three-week trial.

Martin told Hudson he would call the accuser’s mother and sisters to testify, who were not on the prosecution’s witness list.

Earley said she would

Read more at: http://www.thetimesnews.com/news/20170925/trial-of-accused-child-rapist-begins

Sentencing postponed in trial of rapist kwaito star Brickz

Johannesburg – The sentencing of kwaito star Sipho Charles Ndlovu, better known as Brickz, was postponed in the Roodepoort Magistrate’s Court on Thursday morning. 

Ndlovu’s lawyer Piet du Plessis said he was ready with the pre-sentencing report, but that the full record would only delivered to him later in the day. 

He said needed a week or two to analyse the record, including the doctors records, and put a short heads of argument together.

In his brief appearance, Ndlovu was dressed in a dark brown blazer, white shirt and black jeans. 

In July, Brickz was found guilty of raping a 16-year-old girl at his home in November 2013.

His R50 000 bail was revoked after the conviction.

At his last court appearance on August 1, he testified that he had already begun a process to better his life in prison.

The Sweety, My Baby singer claimed that the rape charge was a “fake

Read more at: http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/sentencing-postponed-in-trial-of-rapist-kwaito-star-brickz-20170914

Judge refuses to hold alleged rapist behind bars pending trial …

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – For the third time, a judge said “no” to keeping an alleged rapist behind bars pending trial.

Eli Kronenanker faced a judge Tuesday morning, this time in Sandoval County. He’s charged with intimidating a witness in a 2013 rape case KRQE News 13 first reported on Special Assignment.

The Attorney General’s Office is now pursing the case.

Tuesday, the state argued for the third time that Kronenanker should stay locked up, but the judge disagreed.

“The state has not carried its burden with regard to establishing whether or not this defendant is a danger to the community,” Sandoval County Judge Louis McDonald said.

Kronenanker also faces rape charges in Bernalillo County for a 2015 case. He will be placed on house arrest and an ankle monitor.

Related Posts

Trial for accused St. Bernard-area child rapist pushed to December

A St. Bernard-area man accused in 2012 of raping three pre-adolescent boys he invited to play video games in his home will continue his long wait for trial.

Criminal District Judge Paul Bonin on Monday (July 17) continued the scheduled trial of Troy Domino until Dec. 4. Domino was to be tried this week, but his defense attorney John Fuller is unavailable because of a conflicting murder trial in another section of court.

Bonin specified that Domino’s scheduled trial would be the priority case in his courtroom on the new date. A Dec. 4 trial would come nearly five years after Domino’s arrest by New Orleans police on Dec. 18, 2012.

If the new date holds, the alleged victims in the case — three boys aged 10 or 11 — will be 15 and 16 when the trial finally is called.

According to police, Domino sexually abused the three neighborhood boys inside his mother’s

Read more at: http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2017/07/trial_for_accused_st_bernard-a.html

Rapist to get new trial after mistrial in Yakima County Superior Court … – Yakima Herald

John Robinson talks with his lawyer during his trial at Yakima County Superior Court in Yakima, Wash. on Thursday, July 13, 2017. State prosecutors are arguing that Robinson, who is considered a sexually violent predator and has been convicted of multiple crimes including first-degree kidnapping and rape, should not be released. (JAKE PARRISH/Yakima Herald-Republic)

Read more at: http://www.yakimaherald.com/news/crime_and_courts/rapist-to-get-new-trial-after-mistrial-in-yakima-county/article_6f294ab0-68b1-11e7-8cd7-cb3bd6d5bd72.html

Convicted Baton Rouge child rapist denied new trial; sentencing set …

A Baton Rouge state judge rejected a convicted child rapist’s request for a new trial Thursday but allowed him to continue to remain free on bail until she sentences him Aug. 9 to a mandatory term of life behind bars.

Earl Coleman, 49, was found guilty in April of the aggravated rape of an 8-year-old girl in 2012. Following his conviction, District Judge Trudy White set a $10,000 post-conviction bail for Coleman so he could be with his seriously ill mother.

A 49-year-old Baton Rouge man facing a mandatory life prison term following his conviction l…

On Thursday, after White denied Coleman’s motion for a new trial, East Baton Rouge Parish Assistant

Read more at: http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/courts/article_05496b4a-67e2-11e7-8bbb-1be3189c20ec.html

Convicted child rapist denied new trial; sentencing set for Aug. 9

A 49-year-old Baton Rouge man convicted in April of raping an 8-year-old girl in 2012 was denied a new trial by a state judge Thursday.

Earl Coleman, who remains free on $10,000 bail, will be sentenced Aug. 9 by District Judge Trudy White. He faces a mandatory term of life in prison on the aggravated rape conviction.

White is allowing Coleman to stay out of jail until his sentencing because his mother is seriously ill.

A 49-year-old Baton Rouge man facing a mandatory life prison term following his conviction l…

Coleman’s attorneys, Robby Gill and Yigal Bander, urged White on Thursday to act as the 13th juror and grant Coleman a new trial.

Read more at: http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/courts/article_05496b4a-67e2-11e7-8bbb-1be3189c20ec.html